Thursday, February 11, 2010

Breaking Records with Cans

Ok, so I have been soooo out of the loop recently, I did not even know about the Celebrate Volunteers Live Cast until about a half hour of it happening! But I rearranged my schedule (not like that was hard, being snowed in by over 3o inches of snow) and was able to watch the live broadcast in its entirety!

And Oh Boy What a Broadcast!! Ty Pennington, Kermit, Tom Staggs, Sweetums, the Fab 5...Everyone was present! They had some volunteers parade in who had already one their Give a Day, Get a Day service. There were a ton of them to be sure! They announced that a few, including a family in my home state of Delaware, could not make it due to the snow, I felt so bad for them!

After recognizing the volunteers, they talked about the celebrations and how, after only 6 weeks, there have already been over 600,000 people who have signed up for volunteering, over half of the alloted tickets! So, I guess here's my main question....What is going to happen after that 1 million? At this rate, we will hit 1 million by about Easter, if not before, so what happens after that? Do we just not have a celebration until the end of the year? Highly Unlikely. I know that Disney had to have come up with some kind of plan for if this happened, so I will be very curious to see what this plan is. Personally, I would LOVE to see the Year of a Million Dreams come back! Yea, I know it won't, but I can dream, can't I?

The program ended with the unveiling of the sculpture that now holds the World Record for the largest structure made out of canned foods. Ty Pennington from Extreme Makeover Home Edition, along with the Fab 5, sent balloons flying to reveal the structure. It has more than 115,000 cans and took about 500 hours to complete. The structure will be up until about 3pm today and then will be taken down and the cans distributed to shelters in Miami, Orlando and Atlanta.

To see pictures and a time lapse video of the structure, visit the Disney Parks Blog.


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment