Friday, September 3, 2010

unKNOWN Actors: Cammie King

Yes, I know that I did not finish Thurl's article yet, but I thought I should mention the passing of an actress who really fits the bill of an unKNOWN actress.  She only had two acting jobs her whole life, both before the age of 10 and both well known acting parts.  Cammie King, born August 5, 1934, passed away from lung cancer this past Wednesday, September 1.

Why, you may ask, would I find this death significant enough to post on my Disney site? Well, it is simply because half of her acting career was for Disney! While half of her acting career was only one film out of two, I feel it is definitely worth mentioning!

Cammie's first role was when she was 4 years old, and what a role it was! She played Bonnie Butler, the daughter of Rhett and Scarlett in Gone With the Wind (1939). While it was a small role, her character played a huge part in the plot line of the movie.  Plus, how cool that must have been to work with Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh!

Her second and final acting role, as I said earlier, brings her to Disney 3 years after Gone With the Wind.  Cammie, now 7, is heard as the voice of the female deer Faline in Disney's Bambi (1942).

She spent the rest of her life leading a normal life, with the occasional Gone With the Wind public appearances.  While her acting career was short, she definitely put her place in acting history with the two parts that she played. 

No comments:

Post a Comment