Sunday, September 18, 2011

Lion King 3D Review

The line for The Lion King 3D was incredibly long and I believe it maxed out at the D23 Expo, so my only chance to see it was in the theaters these next two weeks. 

The film is the original version show in theaters in 1996, so the new song "Morning Report" was not included.  For me this was a moot point; if they included it, awesome, if not, not a huge loss. The film itself is quite clear because of the switch to digital for the sake of the 3D. The usage of 3D is strictly for depth, though there are a couple places where objects or faces do pop out at you, like Zazu's tail feathers, but this seems strictly coincidental. The friend I went with said that he noticed a couple parts in the movie where the picture seemed a little distorted from being in 3D, but I honestly did not notice these times and it did not take away from the movie.

I didn't realize until I got home, but the really cool themed 3D glasses I picked up to use were technically for children, though they did fit me fine.  They have a little Simba on the front and one of the arms says "The Lion King 3D". I thought they were really cool!

My total opinion: It was cool to see The Lion King on the big screen again; when it came out in 1996 it was the 2nd movie I had ever seen in theaters and my sister's first. The 3D was a unique way to see the film, but it did little for me honestly. If you are a big Lion King fan or just want to see the film on the big screen again, I say go for it. Otherwise, I would say put the $13 a ticket towards something else, like buying Lion King on Blu-Ray to get all the awesome features that comes with that, or put it towards your next Walt Disney World vacation and see the Festival of the Lion King show.

No comments:

Post a Comment