Saturday, July 17, 2010

What's the Location?

The other day, my sister Emily and I were watching Dumbo and she was looking up trivia about it. One of the pieces of trivia she came across was that Dumbo was one of the few Disney Animated Features that actually take place in the USA. I found this interesting and began trying to make a list of Disney movies and where they took place in my head. I eventually realized that Disney had way to many movies for me to make a list like that in my head, so I decided to look them all up and write them down.

As I wrote them down, I realized that making a list like this is harder than I thought. While some movies were pretty obvious, others there seems to be more controversial than others or else just downright confusing. I compiled the list the best that I could though. Where there was confusion, I wrote down whatever I could find for the movie, even if there were several places to choose from and for movies with multiple sequences, such as Fantasia or Fun and Fancy Free, I wrote Various.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs..........Germany/Belgium
Pinocchio..........Italy
Fantasia..........Various
Dumbo..........USA
Bambi..........USA
Saludos Amigos..........Latin America
The Three Caballeros..........Latin America
Make Mine Music..........Various
Fun and Fancy Free..........Various
Melody Time..........Various
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad..........USA/England
Cinderella..........France
Alice in Wonderland..........England
Peter Pan..........England
Lady and the Tramp..........USA
Sleeping Beauty..........France
101 Dalmatians..........England
The Sword in the Stone..........England
The Jungle Book..........India
The Aristocats..........France
Robin Hood..........England
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh..........England
The Rescuers..........USA
the Fox and the Hound..........USA
The Black Cauldron..........England/France
The Great Mouse Detective..........England
Oliver and Company..........USA
The Little Mermaid..........Denmark/Holland/England
The Rescuers Down Under..........Australia
Beauty and the Beast..........France
Aladdin..........Arabia
The Lion King..........Africa
Pocahontas..........USA
The Hunchback of Notre Dame..........France
Hercules..........Greece
Mulan..........China
Tarzan..........Africa
Fantasia 2000..........Various
The Emperor's New Groove..........South America
Atlantis: The Lost Empire..........USA, Atlantis
Lilo and Stitch..........USA
Treasure Planet..........Outer Space
Brother Bear..........North America, Arctic
Home on the Range..........USA
The Princess and the Frog..........USA
Bolt..........USA
Chicken Little..........Imaginary Town
Dinosaur..........Past, Prehistoric
Meet the Robinsons..........USA


Pixar Movies
A Bug's Life..........Unknown/Could be Anywhere
Cars..........Imaginary Town, but meant to be USA
Finding Nemo..........Australia
The Incredibles..........USA
Monsters Inc..........Monster World, Worldwide
Ratatouille..........France
Toy Story..........USA
Up..........USA
Wall*E..........Worldwide, Space


That's the list that I compiled with the information I found online, I tallied it up and this is what I found:

USA: 16
Various/Unknown (Including movies with multiple possibilities: 9
Imaginary/Past/Future/Space: 8
England: 7
France: 6
South/Latin America: 3
Africa: 2
Australia: 2
Arabia: 1
India: 1
Germany/Belgium: 1
Italy: 1
Greece: 1
China: 1

Through my research, I found that USA actually had the most movies that took place there. Granted, I did include Pixar movies, but even if you take out the Pixar ones, USA still has the most with 12.

If you have questions about any of the locations I have written down or if you know of any missing movies or changes I need to make please let me know either by email (lady_aurora_yensid@hotmail.com) or by leaving a comment here!

No comments:

Post a Comment